Things you must have when moving out
So you’ve decided that you can step into adulthood and start living on your own. You are excited about the future that lies ahead of you, but you recognize that you are totally inexperienced. What can you do? The last thing you want is to ask mom or dad for help, so why not check out our list of must have’s when moving out. We guarantee that you will feel much more prepare once you’ve completed this worksheet.
- Money. So this one is a biggie. Without money you aren’t going anywhere. You will likely be stuck at home for the rest of your life. So start now by preparing your bank account for some serious drainage. Get a job and start saving immediately.
- Start stockpiling things you will need. This includes kitchen items like cutlery, pots and pans, plates, cups, and anything else necessary for modern life.
- Television. Ok so this one isn’t a necessity, but you might find it difficult to do without. Use some of your savings money to splurge a bit on a small television. The next step is to find something to set it on. Check out flea markets to help you furnish your new home.
- Bed and sheets. This one is pretty obvious. Make it a point to purchase a new bed as soon as you can. Don’t be afraid of used beds either, being picky will get you a whole lot of nothing.
- Proof of income. Hopefully you are employed well before you make the decision to move out, but it is important to remember that you need proof of your income to land yourself an apartment. Most rental homes require this information as well.
- A bank account. Having a bank account will make you more accountable for your bills and income. It also lets you track your spending. Make sure to open a bank account as soon as you move out on your own.
- A phone. If you don’t have a phone before you move consider getting one. You will need it for employers to get a hold of you.
- Basic cleaning and hygiene products. This will keep you from spending extra money on products you don’t need. Also, make it a point to keep your new place clean from the start. It is just a good habit to get into.
Moving out on your own can be scary, but play it smart and be prepared for your big move by following our tips above.