Retirement community move checklist
Moving into a retirement community can be a solemn experience for any individual. As life moves forward we have to move with it. Obviously, there are different issues to overcome when moving into a retirement community. Before you make the big move, you need to be aware of everything it entails. If you have already chosen the perfect retirement community then consider our tips to help make your move easier.
- Moving into a retirement community generally involves downsizing your property. Although this might sound difficult, you will be surprised to discover that much of what you own are items you simply do not need. Make a list of essential and non essential items. This will help you clarify what can go and what should stay behind.
- Measure your new space. This helps you determine how you belongings will best serve the space they will now be in. In turn, you will be better equipped to handle the transition from a large home to a more quaint and comfortable space.
- Consider local senior moving services. Senior moving services provide specialized services for individuals who cannot help themselves. They often do so for a discounted rate as well, so it is a good idea to check with them first before hiring a moving company to transport your goods.
- Provide your family with information about the staff. Retirement communities generally have managers and administrators on duty at all times, so be sure and send your family and friends their information in case of any emergency.
- Pack one room at a time. Instead of attempting to take on your entire house, pack one room at a time to get through the years of memories that are likely held within the walls of your home. This will provide you with a sense of accomplishment as you complete each room.
- Organize your new home. Settling into your new retirement home involves organizing your belongings in the way you like. Once you feel things are as they should be you will start to feel more peace about this transition.
Moving into a retirement community can be a fulfilling experience full of new friends and adventures. The goal is to be prepared for the move so it takes place as smoothly as possible for all involved.