To do list when moving out of state
Moving even across town is a stressful experience, but moving to a new state can be a terrifying adventure. To prevent any major mishaps from occurring along your journey we have gathered some very important items every person should include on their to do list when moving out of state. Although some of these items won’t apply to your particular situation, there are several vital items on the list you must consider for a stress free move.
To Do List:
- • Make a folder specifically for important documents. Moving out of state puts your valuable paperwork at risk of getting lost or stolen. Keep it safe from the beginning with a folder marked “IMPORTANT”.
- • Take photos of breakable items if you plan on using a moving company. This will prevent your claims from being rejected if something happens to your valuables.
- • Fill out change of address forms for your new residence.
- • Refill any prescriptions that might be expired soon after you move to avoid any lapse in treatment.
- • Pack and label boxes that contain items you will need as soon as you arrive at your new home.
- • Make pet traveling arrangements for any of your furry friends.
- • Have your rugs professionally cleaned so you can come home to a clean house right after you move in.
- • Prepare your children for the move. Kids are sensitive to change. Explain to them why you are moving and how fun it will be to get them excited.
- • Read up on your new state’s laws. Every state has a unique set of laws and requirements. Do you best to familiarize yourself with the information necessary to make the move legally.
- • Get copies of your medical records. Prepare for any unforeseen experience by having the necessary documents on hand. You can request your records from your doctor or have them safely transferred to your new medical provider as soon as possible.
- • Disconnect utility services. Call and have this done the week of your move so you aren’t overpaying for services.
- • Prepare mentally for the move. All the running around your doing can put a strain on your body physically and mentally. Get a massage or go for a pedicure the week of the big move to help calm your nerves.
In the end, moving to a new state can be done successfully if you take the necessary time to organize and plan out your move. Once the move is complete you will be able to breathe a breath of fresh air and feel fully ready for life’s next adventure.