Cross Country Moving Tips
Moving across the country is an exciting adventure to undertake. Regardless of the reason for your move, however, there will still be a fair amount of stress attached to it. To help ease the burden of moving we have developed several cross-country moving tips to aid you along your journey. Consider these tips before you make one of the biggest moves of your life.
- Start planning immediately! The worst thing that you can do for your cross-country move is to procrastinate. Gather your boxes and markers and start boxing up items as soon as you find out that you will be moving. The further you move the harder it will be, so start preparing as soon as possible.
- Eliminate anything that you do not need or use. Use this move is an opportunity to thoroughly clean house. Donate anything that is usable that you don’t need, and throw out anything that is no longer usable. The more that you eliminate the less expensive your move will be, so make it a point to clean out the junk.
- Separate important paperwork and documents. One of the most common regrets for individuals moving across-country is the fact that they failed to separate important documents before moving. Don’t let this happen to you. Before you begin packing gather up your birth certificate, Social Security card, and any other important documents you may need and place them in a separate folder for safe keeping.
- Develop a packing system. Whether you choose to color-code your boxes, label each one according to room, or throw everything in one giant container, make sure that you have a plan for packing. This will make the entire process so much easier on yourself and any movers that you hire along the way. It also helps to purchase the proper equipment to correctly pack your items, so don’t hesitate to invest in these products prior to packing.
- Plan for your lodging and transportation needs well in advance. Whether you are flying or driving, plan out your transportation before you begin packing. Reserve any hotels or rental cars you may need for transportation in your new city to ensure you have what you need when you need it. It pays to book flights as early as possible since you may be able to receive a discount for reserving early.
Take on your new adventure head first and plan out your cross-country move as soon as possible.